Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the smallest size pop up window you can have

Status
Not open for further replies.

dognobbler

Programmer
Jul 4, 2003
GB
I am trying to create a 1 by 1 pixel pup up window, however the smallest I seem to be able to get the window is about 100 * 100. The reason for this seems to be because of the window minimize, maximize and close buttons.

So my question is - is is possible to get rid of the bar containing the window minimize, maxmize and close buttons.

Or is there any other way to create a pop up window that is 1 by 1 pixel.

Thanks for your help

Andy

I believe the minimum size is browser-dependant, and in most cases, the minimum size is nothing to do with the buttons, but more a security issue. Basically, having a 1x1 popup could be a big security risk, as you could have a "hidden" popup doing all sorts of things.

I'd try and rework your code to use iframes instead.

Hope this helps,
Dan

I know that there is way to do this because I have actually seen tiny pop up windows which do not have the minimize, maximize and close buttons.

Does anyone know how to open a window without those buttons?

Andy

If you've seen them, then why not visit the sites that you've seen them popped-up by, and view the source to see how it's done? And then you can post it here, as I'd be interested in seeing it, too.

I still don't believe it can be achieved equally in all browsers.

Dan

According to MSDN, minimal dimensions for window.open() are 100x100. Once opened, window can be resized to smaller size.

Wanna remove min/max/close buttons, this requires HTA stuff for IE, probably special security settings for other browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back