Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the purpose of VAL() function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkape

MIS
Mar 22, 2001
US
I'm trying to fix some bugs with an access db I inherited. I'm running across the VAL() funtion in queries and am unable to figure out what the purpose of the VAL() function is.

Can any post quick explanation.

Thanks

Pasted straight from Access Help:

Returns the numbers contained in a string as a numeric value of appropriate type.

Syntax

Val(string)

The required string argument is any valid string expression.

Remarks

The Val function stops reading the string at the first character it can't recognize as part of a number. Symbols and characters that are often considered parts of numeric values, such as dollar signs and commas, are not recognized. However, the function recognizes the radix prefixes &O (for octal) and &H (for hexadecimal). Blanks, tabs, and linefeed characters are stripped from the argument.

The following returns the value 1615198:

Val(" 1615 198th Street N.E.")

In the code below, Val returns the decimal value -1 for the hexadecimal value shown:

Val("&HFFFF")

Note The Val function recognizes only the period (.) as a valid decimal separator. When different decimal separators can be used, for example, in international applications, use CDbl instead to convert a string to a number. Maq [americanflag]
<insert witty signature here>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back