Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the most commonly used HP switch for VoIP deployment nowadays? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlgmartin

Vendor
Jul 6, 2010
PH
Any idea what is the most commonly used HP switch for VoIP deployment nowadays? Is it better to use modular or fixed ports PoE-enabled switch?

"It is an equal failing to trust everybody, and to trust nobody.

I wouldn't say there is one that is better than the other. It all will be based upon your port density and application needs. I use predominantly the 5400 series chassis due to port density and module application needs (I use the zl wireless controllers), but I do have a some 2910 series (for 1Gb users), and 2610 series (for 100Mb users) switches that are there for those outlying areas of my network where I would only have a few users. I use these switches to provide VoIP, IP Cameras, and wireless APs power over ethernet. Also, all of these units are capable of having the external 600 series or zl shelf (for the zl switches) redundant power supply tied on to them to offer additional power should the need arise.

We had a gigabit mandate, so we standardized on the 2520G and the 5400zl, depending on port density requirements. In areas where we have the rack space and available uplinks, the 2520G has been very cost effective

To be honest it depends if you are talking VoIP edge or backbone. If you are using the parallel port on most VoIP phones then these don't generally exceed 100Mb output so no real point paying for Gb edge ports.

Typically we use 2610 for edge connectivity and 5400 at the core and this will suffice for most VoIP installs that we would do (up to 500 users). Just make sure you do a load calc for the PoE to make sure you are not overloading the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back