Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the maximum number of PoE ports can be enabled on HP 5406zl? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlgmartin

Vendor
Jul 6, 2010
PH
What is the maximum number of PoE ports can be enabled on HP 5406zl?

"It is an equal failing to trust everybody, and to trust nobody.

Well easy enough, if you have a 5406zl, you have a 6 slot chassis. So occupying all 6 slots with 24 port PoE blade modules will give you 144 total PoE ports. Just be mindfull that if you are going to be delivering power across all of those ports, you will need to know how much total wattage you need to hand out in order to purchase the correct power supply option for the switch or if you will need to purchase the zl power shelf accessory. The switch itself will hold two power supplies for offering power and/or for redundancy.
Hope that helps.

What is better, 2 HP5406zl or 1 HP5412zl?

"It is an equal failing to trust everybody, and to trust nobody.

Well, you can really do some cool things with two as it pertains to redundancy as you can link the two for redundant routing (VRRP), you don't have "all of your eggs in one basket", so even if you suffer a complete switch failure, you still have that other switch's connected users and devices still working, etc...

You could also look into the 8200 series as that chassis allows to populate with redundant management module if you wanted to stick with one chassis but have the highest level of hardware redundancy. Both the 5400 and 8200 series offers redundant power supplies, fans, and even suffering a port blade failure does not take the entire switch down. So the redundancy difference between those two series is the additional processor/management module that can be done on the 8200 series. Of course, this would use up a slot.

That being said, I'm a big fan of that 5400 series switch, they are rock solid, and if you have the money, I'd say go with the dual switches...but that's just my opinion.

Rock solid"?

So you haven't been using the K.15 firmware yet?

I'd say they are good value for money. But until they get K.15 working properly (and tech support who don't try to spin you a line of bulldust).....not so sure.

I've been running v15 code now for many months and have 20+ of these units and have not had any issues due to code whatsoever. I run 10/100/1000 PoE, 10Gb, and wireless mobility modules, and have not had one hiccup due to code.

Well I have.

The problem I had was eventually admitted and included as "fixed" in the 0006 release of the code. (Check the release notes)
Well, guess what? I installed 00006 and the module reboots happened again.

Flakey flakey flakey.

I'd be less cranky if HP support had been halfway competent in their reply to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back