Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the maximum number of clients insingle backup server ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

civa1

MIS
Jun 10, 2009
US
Hello

Can some one tell me or share with me what is the maximum number of Clients that a Legato - EMC networker backup server can handle ? and what is the type of O/S on which it is running ?

Hello,

if you talk just about 'client definition', the number is great-great-great, assuming you have purchased enough licenses :)

But if you talk about the max number of clients a server can backup at a time, it depends on the server version, the memory capacity and other things (drives...).

I currently have 150 clients saved by an AIX (but divided into 5 groups), with 6 LTO-3 drives, and a NW 7.3.3 power edition.

Denis.

The max number of concurrent clients can only be as high as the server parallelism. Assuming each client delivers exactly one stream, there is a 1:1 (client/stream) relationship.

Other limitations (like savegroup parallelism) may also apply.

In theory, there is no limit as more pending backups will just be queued.

If you want to know the max. number of clients - there is none. I have spoken to customers with 1.300 clients. Of course, these could not be backed up at the same time as the absolute maximum number of streams in the data zone is 512.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back