Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the M: drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blubomber

MIS
Dec 27, 2001
US
I was just shown something in exchange 2000 that i have not seen before. When the exchange database is mounted, an M: drive is mapped that contains all the email boxes in a folder form that you can explore like in windows explorer and open the emails.

Does anyone know what i am talking about? What is this tool and is it available in 2003?

Thank you for any help.

No, it's not available in 2003 (well, not by default). It's provided by the IFS. It caused a lot of problems because people would run AV against it, or try and back it up, or other such problems.

How to remove the IFS mapping for Drive M in Exchange 2000 Server

How can I remove the IFS Mapping for Drive M in Exchange 2000 Server?

How can I restore the IFS Mapping for Drive M in Exchange Server 2003?

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

It can be enabled in 2003. Do not touch it. Hide it. Ignore it. Pretend it never happened.

Step AWAY from the M drive.

Thank you for the replies.

now that i know what it is i wont implement it in 2003.

Thanks again.

Yeah the M drive is evil if u dont have to use it just let it be it's just a virtual drive that exchange creates for its database for mailboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back