Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the largest Access Database you have used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesCook

Programmer
May 13, 2002
US
My customer wants to download data from SAP into a local database so they can do adhock reporting. They want to use an Access database because it could be built without IS support.

The problem in my view is the amount of data they are talking about. We would be looking at something like 4000 rows a month and they would want to have access to 12 months data. The rows would be something like 512 bytes each. So a row is no bug deal but 48000 rows is alot.

Have any of you worked with an Access Database this size?

I have lots of experience with very large Oracle database's but never with a large Access db.

Thanks in advance for you input...
CharlesCook.com
ADP - PeopleSoft
ReportSmith - Crystal Reports - SQR - Query
Reporting - Interfaces - Data Mining

Well Access db's can't go more than 2 gb in total size. But you might try to make an MSDE database in conjunction with Access Project (not an Access Application). This would net you a SQL Server type db with an Access front end. You might try that if the Access db is unbearably slow. And if they have Office Pro, then they have the install for MSDE.

Access can easiily handle 48,000 rows. All I know is Access, and I've had databases with tables with over one million rows. Depending on your queries and forms, the speed my be slow, but it hasn't mattered for any of my clients.

Yes but wouldn't 48,000 rows by 1000 columns be larger than 48,000 by 10 columns? He may have a large number when multiplying rows by columns.

It should not do too many columns. I am expecting something like 10 columns. CharlesCook.com
ADP - PeopleSoft
ReportSmith - Crystal Reports - SQR - Query
Reporting - Interfaces - Data Mining

Even at your speculation of 512 bytes per row, that's still only 25 megs in total size. I've used .mdb's over 100 megs before, not that I prefer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back