Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the good book for CR and Asp.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

taree

Technical User
May 31, 2008
US
Is there any book out there that covers Crystal reprot and asp.net together. if so can someone make a recommendation which one that i should buy.

thanks

The only one I found was Crystal Reports.Net Programming by Brian Bischof

this is asp.net & windows based. It is a little geeky but has helped me.

They also have a forum that the author will check in on to answer questions.. (but right now he seems a little busy with the just released book)

He just put out a newer version of his book, we have .net 2005 and the old book is for 2003 and new one for 2008.. Therefore we are still getting some issues with figureing out how to deploy with crystal report.. Seems somethings need to be included in the deploy, but they differ between how to include them in 2003, 2005, and 2008..

Good luck...

thank you and I will look into it.

FYI... you will need to install the crystal .net package on the server. the MSI for this is located here:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\CrystalReports\CRRedist2005_x86.msi

unless you want to programmatically design your crystal reports (which would be a total pain) there isn't much too it. it's like designing crystal reports with BO designer.
create a new report.
set the datasource.
create the layout.

that said i would just look for a good crystal reference book.

I would recommend using either collections (enumerations) or datatables for the report. it is much easier to test with "dummy data" rather than linking the report directly to a database.

I have also found that using a dataset with multiple tables is extremely slow. it's better to use one huge flat datatable rather than 2/3 datatables in a dataset.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back