Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is the gatekeeper in symmetrix frame ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vptl

Technical User
Jan 22, 2004
US
Hi,
I am trying to learn about EMC symmetrix administration and I have some doubts, I am trying to read from EMC power link website which is very good source of the info but sometime it is difficult to find what I am looking for.
I really appriciate any explanation in response to this question.
Thanks.

Hi,
a gatekeeper is essentially a window into into the symmetrix. It is usually a 6 cylinder device for your bog standard gatekeeper. EMC software utilises gatekeepers, i.e. when you issue a symapi command it is to the gatekeeper that the command is sent, also some emc syscalls use the gatekeeprs.
C.

All EMC software that requires external management as TimeFinder, etc. (with EMC Control Center) needs to send commands to the Symmetrix, because it is Symmetrix who execute the order. So, if you do a full establish, you issue a "symmir establish" command to the symmetrix, and Symmetrix perform the action. The problem is that the management software (ECC, CLI, etc) needs to send the command to the memory and Symmetrix *cannot* give you memory... cache memory is only for devices, so -cleverly- they make *gatekeeper* devices just to assing memory to the servers in order to receive commands. A gatekeeper devices, as culainn tolds you, is a very little device (6 cilinders, 2.88 MB) and you assign this devices to the server that will run EMC Control Center, CLI and/or any software manager you have.

InfoMover is almost the same, the difference is you need to configure several devices with bigger size, but it is the same idea.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back