Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the first EXAM in the CCNP path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minue

Technical User
Dec 30, 2005
IT
Hello Guys
I would like to start studying for the CCNP,but I don't have much information on how the Certification works.I know you have to complete 4 exams,but I don't know the sequence.In other words which of the exams should I start with first.Also any reccomendations on some good books would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Minue

You can always pick the order, but I believe the recommendation you would get from a lot of people is:
BSCI
BCMSN
ISCW
ONT

im taking the bcmsn first, then probably bsci. I am using cisco press books and "the bryant advantage" stuff. I feel prepared so far, i am taking it in June. neither of the products have great exam sims, but i believe the material covers what you need to know...

but i guess i'll see when i take the test : )

I already did CCSP, so my first on CCNP will be ISCW as is has much security stuff that is the same.

Hello
Thanks guy for all your help!Well being being that I still have the CCNA stuff in my head.I think my first choice should be the BSCI,that relates a lot to the topics found in the CCNA.
A last question,did the BSCI upgrade to 642-901,change any of the topics because I am thinking about purchasing a Sybex book,that isn't updated.The Cisco books would be better.But I prefer Sybex because they explain everythng so well.
Regards

I studied for CCNA with Sybex and failed with a 780, then got the Cisco Press books and passed with a 961 a year later. I would never recommend a Sybex book as your only source (They are easy to read but I don't think they cover everything), and I would never recommend an older book. In my experience, I like the "Exam Certification Guides" from Cisco. The exam is so new that I think there is not much study material out there compared to the old exam. I usually look at the exam topics and then go to cisco.com and check out the command references and technical guides.

Hello
Thanks for all the advice!Well I will start with the Cisco book,and maybe when Sybex release it's 842-901 new revision,I wiil use it as a backup.
Would you be kind enough to give me the name and edition of the cisco press books for CCNP.
Many thanks
Minue

All the new "Exam Cert Guides" from Cisco press aren't available yet, only the BCMSN 642-812 as far as I know. Amazon has the rest on pre-order. There is the "Self-Study Guide" which is different from the Exam Cert Guide.

Self Study guide (released):

Exam Cert guide (July 17, 2007):

It's too bad they take so long to be released, I wanted to start on the BSCI after I take the BCMSN in June. I might take the ONT exam before the BSCI since the book will be out sooner.

Hello
This is all tricky!I think they should have first release the study material ,then launch the new Exam.Anyway I will start with the Self-Study,hoping it enough!Because I need to complete this exam in 2-3 months.
Million thanks for all the info.
Regards
Minue

free registration, free ebooks. All the Cisco Press books have been out since January on this site. Hard to believe, but it's true. I got my CCNP, and wanted to stay fresh with the new stuff coming out, so I looked on this site, and lo and behold! There they were.

Burt

I used the Ciscopress books when I did my CCNP. They vary in quality, the BSCI and BCMSN Self-Study books were excellent, the BCRAN Exam Certification guide was not detailed enough for me (I should have got the Self-Study book), and the CIT was awful!

Some people recommend Ciscopress because the good ones cover the topics very thoroughly, other people recommend Sybex because they find them easier to read and understand. Maybe you can pay a trip to your local bookstore and do some browsing to get an idea.

Graham M. CCNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back