Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the different between Dynamic Disk and Basic Disk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackps

Technical User
Jul 7, 2003
HK
Dear all
I had a Win2k server set up in my office, now i want to create a software RAID, which is mirror, for a moment both my HDD are running Basic Disk, and i found out that win2k won't let me create the Mirror if the hdd are in Basic Disk Format, now before i convert them to Dynamic disk, i want to know what should i keep my eyes on?
Can anyone please give me a hand on this?

Thx alot & Best Regards

jack

Jack,

The conversion is simple as, and I've never seen any problems. The only troubles are:
1. If you move the disk set into another machine, it won't appear straight away, rather it will appear as a foreign disk in the Disk Management section of Computer Management MMC. To use the drive it must be imported (right-click -> import)
Note - I've only done this with single disks or Hardware RAID, not Software RAID.
2. Dynamic Disks can never be converted back to Basic (read - re-format to convert).
3. Software such as Ghost, Partition Magic etc don't work on Dynamic Disks.

Dynamic disks offer no advantages that i can see, except for software fault tolerance, and software FT is pretty bad at the best of times. I would make every effort possible to get a hardware controller for the purpose, otherwise make sure your backups are reliable.

Cheers,
Sam

Please let members know if you found their posts helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back