Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the difference between the 2 links?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2007
US
Hi,

I am trying to rack my brain. One link opens an Excel File. One link opens a PDF file.

While the excel file opens, PDF file does not open.

I checked the name, folder structure, name of the file. Everything is right. Why would the PDF file not open in the browser? I have unchecked "Friendly HTTP Errors" in the Internet Options for IE 7.0 on a XP Box.

Code:
<a href="file://///renoir/deptweb/Facilities/Docs/Mens_Lockers.xls">Facilities Excel File</a> <br />
					<a href="file://///renoir/DeptWeb/QA/docs/IQC/IQC Mission Statememt/Testing.pdf">PDF Testing</a>

Message I see in the IE Browser is:
Code:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage 

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet. 
The website is encountering problems. 
There might be a typing error in the address. 

What you can try: 
     Diagnose Connection Problems  

More information 

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including: 

Internet connectivity has been lost. 
The website is temporarily unavailable. 
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable. 
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain. 
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section. 

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds 

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view. 

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages) 

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline. 
Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

Also wanted to add the when I view the files, the link in the address bar looks like in the IE.

Excel File:
Code:
\\renoir\DeptWeb\Facilities\Docs\Mens_Lockers.xls

PDF File:
Code:
\\renoir\DeptWeb\QA\docs\IQC\IQC Mission Statememt\Testing.pdf

Now the name of the folder 'Statememt' is correct though it is mis-spelt in the folder.

Thanks.

If it is the spelling is not the same in both your URL and the folder, then it will not find it. You need to change one or the other so that they both match. Consider it to be a literal and it must be taken literally since the computer is not going to know whether the folder version is spelled correctly or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
- Winston Churchill

Spelling is the same in the URL and folder. I consider it a literal. The code is picking up whatever is there in the folder.

Any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back