Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the difference between database cubes and reporting cubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTwo

Technical User
Jan 30, 2002
US
I have a confusion in my mind about MDDB servers.

Why do we need a MDDB server like Oracle Express, MS Analysis Server, Hyperion Essbase, et all. I can understand the advatages of basic things like aggregation, pre summarised data, faster access, cube related security features, building and storing multiple cubes, etc but there is also a cost involved in terms of pushing the data physically to a MDDB server (ETL,/code).

But we can get the same features through a reporting cube, which also gives MOLAP or ROLAP, perhaps at a much less cost!! And if scalability of cubes is the problem, we can also build multiple reporting cubes. Also, one more thought, even if we have a MDDB server, we may still need these OLAP tools and then again build a cube in them. Isn't this sort of duplication and extra work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back