Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the default for Ownership 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinCouture

Technical User
Feb 16, 2002
CA
Hello,

I have a dual boot Vista / Windows 7 RC on 2 seperate hard drives.

I'm now in Windows 7:
When I tried to copy or run files from Vista's public folder or users's folder to Windows's 7, I had to take ownership of them and then I was able to copy or run them. All ok...

Back to Windows Vista:
Boot back in Vista and now I can't install anything with windows installer (updating iTunes wouldn't work). The error is:
Error reading from file
C:\Users\Martin\Desktop\Quicktime.msi. Verify that
the file exists and that you can access it.

I think it's my messing around with ownership that is causing this. Now I tried to take ownership of the whole C:\Users\Martin folder with sub-folders, but I get the same results...

How do I reset my user folder to what it was ?

-----------------
[flush]

Thanks for the replies!

@smash:
tried the fix tool, but it's a .msi file that needs the installer, so I get the same error: "Error reading from file: C:\Users\Martin\AppData\...tempsfiles...\MicrosoftFixit50198[2].msi. Verify that the files exists and that you can access it"
Treid it in safe mode also, but the installer doesn't work in safe mode.

@linney:
rebooted in safe mode, security tab \ advanced \ owner \ Edit, and to make sure it was me, other users or group \ Object name where I entered Martin, check names which changed Martin to MARTIN-VISTA\Martin (MARTIN-VISTA is the name of the computer) and clicked OK back to the begining.

rebooted and tried an install of iTunes (failed) and Fixit (failed) all with the same error "Verify that the files exists and that you can access it"

Beats me... don't know what to try next...

-----------------
[flush]

Did you try the manual path (Command line)to reset security to defaults rather than running any fixit tool in ?

Have you tried another user, create one if needs be?

See if any of these options will allow you to run the .msi with higher privileges?

MsiRunAsAdmin.

MSI "Run as administrator" Context Menu for Vista

Can you change .msi to .zip via WinZip etc. and extract the files and find a Setup.exe to right-click on and "Run As an Administrator"?

Try this from an elevated Command Prompt
msiexec /a C:\Users\Martin\Desktop\Quicktime.msi

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, start by ticking one box, then both, in any rerun.

Maybe reinstalling this may help?

Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

Hi linney,

I tried the manual patch and had :
"An extended error has occurred.

The task has completed with an error.
See log %windir%\security\logs\scesrv.log for detail info."

Looked at the logs and basically trying to reset settings for services I didn't have installed. But the result were still the same, unable to use the installer with any .msi files

Next on the list: create a new user. Worked flawlessly, able to use installed and all. But having to re-install/set all the email account/iTunes music library/etc... didn't appeal to me so I checked the properties of my old user account and my newly created one.

Old account:
user was MARTIN-VISTA\Martin

New account:
user was MARTIN-VISTA\New
SYSTEM
Administrators

ahaaa! All this time I was trying to take ownership of the user folder when I always had it, but was missing the system and administrator group.

So added SYSTEM and Administrators (with full privileges)... and voila, everything is back to normal.

sigh of relief.

Thanks a lot
[2thumbsup]
(I couldn't find the dancing banana smiley)

-----------------
[flush]

Glad for you, and your friends, System, and Administrators, look after then now their back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back