Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best way to stop popup windows in XP 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Righty

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2001
US
I have a computer running Win XP Home. I deleted cookies and cache but p[op up windows are still keep arrearing. I know you can download add killers on line, but is there any other way to stop them? Also do I need to download an add killer for each user on XP? and what is the best free one to use or are there any that are free and worthwile?

What kind of pop ups? Do they say 'Messenger Service' in the title bar?

Check the FAQ's in the Broswer Issues forum forum608.

If you are willing to spend $29.99 per year, I recommend Stopzilla. I downloaded a free one month trial and was so convinced, I bought the year. Go to Stopzilla.com.

If you are willing to spend nothing (like me), I recommend downloading either Avant Browser (recommneded) OR myIE2. They are about a meg to download, are freeware and run using your IE settings. There are really an enhanced version of IE, and function 100% as IE does.

StopZilla is an awesome program right out of the box. There are virtually no settings to play with, just a couple buttons to allow/disallow pop-ups. However, I've had problems with Stopzilla on my Windows XP pro install. Explorer keeps bombing out on me, and restarting. When I check event viewer, There is an event stating that explorer had errors and had to be restarted, and referenced to the faulting module: is3core.dll. I did some searches and didn't find much until I ran into an article about StopZilla which refererenced is3core.dll. I guessed that the only solution at the time was to remove Stopzilla, which is a bloody shame because I think it is the best pop-up blocker I've seen to date. After the de-install of StopZilla, my problems went away. Anyway, I'm going to research this further, and hopefully find a fix for the problem, as I totally recommend this production besides the fault that it had.

Download and use Opera. It has built in pop-up blockers - just turn 'em on and away you go.

Also go to and download the "Shoot the Messenger" program.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

If you've IE, Google does the trick for us.

::nod::

google's toolbar has a popup blocking option that works superbly. however, it will only work for 'real' popups (web scripts) and not adware

-jamieson

The Mozilla browser is free and has built in pop-up blocking that works great.

Run Spybot S&D and Adaware for starters. Some spyware will call for pop ups. Add Zone Alarm which has a pop up blocker and you should be in business.

Spybot's a very good piece of software - it picks up several items that AdAware misses. Watch out for false-positives though, I've had a few.

Ed.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Hi,

You can download crazy browser, which is a tab version of IE with built in pop up filter.

Or

Try a program called secretmaker ( it is freeware and does the job really well.

Hope this helps!
Joe

I use Pop-up Stopper its totally FREE and works fine. It doesn't use much Ram and its the best freeware I have come across. Go for it.

Import Spybots host file to you host file, get the adwatch.exe option for Adaware, in the plus package

If you enjoy being innundated with FUD, read the above article. It is filled with many inaccuracies, little details, and things that are just plain wrong.

You can pick out all the inacurracies you want, SP2 is still screwed up, Ms just pushed up the final release again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back