Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO BECOME A PROJECT MANAGER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureprojectmanager

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2008
US
Good day everyone,

I need some sound advice, I want to become a project manager in about 2-3 years and I have been a Business Analyst for about 3 years. I already have my CAPM and will be getting my PMP in January plus I start my masters in BIT (business information technology) in February as well. I consider myself to be a pretty strong Business Analyst and I keep myself up to date with new business processes and technologies.

I don't want to be a regular project manager but one with a very good technical skillset as well especially when it comes to databases. I want to hear from the pros what steps you think I should take or if I am missing on something. Would really appreciate any advice I can get.

If you can, get a mentor, an experience PM who you admire and trust who can help teach you, and who you can turn to for answers or references to your questions.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

You are most definetly in the right path...with you CAPM and potential PMP.
As you are also taking your BIT....I dont know what else you need to be a IT Project Manager.

Maybe CompTIA's Project + or a certification in Oracle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back