Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the Best Virus Protection for Mac? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanEaker

MIS
Apr 22, 2004
US
I'm looking for virus protection for my Mac, and the main choices I've seen are Norton Antivirus, Virus Barrier by Intego and Virex.
What are participants of this forum using? What are your likes and dislikes with whatever you are using now or have tried previously? Thanks to everyone for their opinions!

I am on MacOS 9.1 and use Virex, but as on any computer, the best virus protection consists of not using any MS software, ever.

Only 58 Classic Mac viruses were ever written (except MS macro viruses, which can be cross platform), and Apple improved the OS in each iteration so they cannot all run in recent OSes.

No working OSX viruses have been written yet (again baring MS macro viruses), although the scum do keep trying.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I use OS X without any virus protection and refuse to unless viruses start showing up that affect me. Given the inherent security of OS X, I refuse to spend money on software to "protect" me from viruses that do not affect me. Even if I pass a virus that I received from Windows user on to another Windows user thru email or whatever, it doesn't affect or bother me. I refuse to pay for software to keep the Wintel users virus free. It may sound cold, but I am not going to clean up after Microsoft's (and Gate's) sloppy code writing that allows such attacks to take place.

...end of rant...

thats correct, there are not many viruses for macintosh. I'm working with web and internet things only.
My email account is spammed with 10 saming mails everyday, 2 of them are always viruses (pc viruses how it looks).

I belive that i never had a mac virus - my system keeps running smooth with panther and always the newest security updates...

Whats more important on os x is a firewall.
If you are on os x, i would just activate personal firewall...

Ummmm.....

I ALWAYS have Anti-Virus installed, no matter what OS if it is on the net, anything else is not secure. It is rule number one and I believe Apple even suggests it on their security site:

(Check tip 3 under "Security in your System")

Mac's almost came under a very critical strike recently that was left vulnerable for 3 weeks and is still not 100% solved, critial = remote access to machine, and there are still insecurities because Apple does modify the FreeBSD code abit and thus they may leave room for people to infect the system. Instead of fixing the exploit you are now notified in 10.3.4 that you are launching a program - not a solution really, just a work around.

Make sure you buy a hardware router with firewall and do not allow macros when using MS programs (because nearly 90% of mac users use M$ Office).

If you go on the net, buy an anti-virus and sleep well at night.

OFCOURSE... Tiger is supposed to be "Super Secure" as Apple is going after the government market by making all Macs running 10.4 achieve the highest lvl of security.

I would not worry about virus protection.
If you must choos someting go for nortons

I have two of virus protection programs in my MAC. One is Virex and sedond is Panda. Both working excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back