Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best modem for Alcatel dslam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodro

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
US
I'm new to dsl and was wanting some ideas on the best modem to use with Alcatel dslam equipment. I was told that the speedstream 5000 series modem we have are not user friendly.
Is that true? Thank you for the help,
Woodro

Greetings Woodro,

Most modems should work with your Telco's DSLAM. The ones that will not work are the Nortel (CAP protocol; incompatible) and the D-Link is to be avoided (very unreliable modems, but the routers are OK).

I also know that there are various versions of the Speedstream 5000 series modems, some are very basic, but they are upgradeable. Fact is; modems (without incorporated routers) do so little that as long as it is reliable, you should be OK.

Best of luck.

BDahl

Netopia has released a new ADSL modem/router that they have been selling pretty darn cheap to some large ILECs. You may want to contact them as their routers are actually cheaper than most modems. If you need some contact info, feel free to send me an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back