Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is the best file system for Ubuntu Server for solar power ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtownGuy

Technical User
Jul 27, 2007
US
I need to run Ubuntu Server 10.x machines with TB disks that use solar power. I need to choose a file system that handles frequent power loss well, especially at the worst time -- when file system checks are running. I've looked at ext4 with data=journal and Reiserfs, but I would like input on which is best. I only need to store a few MB/S, but using relatively slow, but low power, notebook hard drives.

The salient problem is that solar power, even with a UPS, provides frequent power loss -- it can be dozens of times a day. The power system discharges overnight, and then, at sunrise, there's enough power to turn the equipment on, but it quickly cycles off and on until the sun is bright enough long enough for the batteries to recharge. The problem recurs with clouds and night fall.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I think you are tackling this the wrong way.
Either your require bigger batteries for the UPS (to last the full night) or you need a means of shutting down the laptop/pc when the UPS is approaching exhaustion, Preferably both. unplanned power loss is never a good idea even if the file system does have recovery mechanisms

Computers are like Air conditioners:-
Both stop working when you open Windows

I agree with IPGuru, your approach to the problem is all but guaranteed to cause you grief. A journaling file system like ext4 or Reiserfs is better able to recover from such a condition with LESS likelihood of a data loss, but the emphasis is on less, not no data loss.

What happens if an Ubuntu Server 10.x receives a shutdown command while it's running a file system check ? This could happen to anyone -- your office loses power when you're running a file system check and your UPS sends a power loss signal to the server. Or, the shutdown command could come from the machine's mainboard because you accidently momentarily press the power switch on the machine, which would be received by ACPI or other power management software -- at least it would if the machine were running normally.

a shutdoen request(form ups or power button) should cause the file system check to exit gracefully, this is different to the implied power loss scenario outlined in your original post

Computers are like Air conditioners:-
Both stop working when you open Windows

If the file system check exits gracefully due to a shutdown request, will it resume on reboot ?

How do servers that run continuously and presumably never reboot handle file system checks ?

Except for the most basic partition, can I manage file system check with a cron script instead of being triggered by reboot ? Can I have multiple partitions for data, and choose to unmount and check a particular partition only, then remount and reactivate the application that uses it when the check is done ? If so, how do I tell the check that is triggered at reboot to only check a particular (small) partition ?

And, how much better is Reiserfs over ext4, and how much better is data=journal over data=ordered for integrity of the file system ? (I can stand to lose some data, but not to lose the file system.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back