Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best backup software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sina

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
CA
Hello All,

So what do you think is the best backup software for both novell and NT?

Is there a site that offers comparison between different softwares?

Thanks
Sina

The simple answer is "NOT Legato".

I tend to lean toward ArcServe, particularly in a mixed environment.

IMHO ... :cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

I agree. Arcserve is easy to use. I don't have any experience with recovery though. Legato is a pain to setup, especially with Oracle backup. It's also difficult to setup if you have total system failure. With Arcserve, you can setup a recovery diskette.

Be careful about ArcServe on NetWare. ArcServe IT 6.6 for NetWare still requires IPX. It does NOT support IP. I've been waiting over a year for Computer Associates to ship ArcServe IT 7 for NetWare, which is suppose to support IP. I have not been able to find a reseller that can get this version.

The simple answer is "NO Arcserve" and "NO Veritas"
if you want to stay away from deep trouble.
I prefer to sleep my nights well and therefore use Legato.

Hi,

All products mentioned have advantages and disadvantages (complexity, scalability, etc..) It really depends on your requirements. NetWorker has the best cross platform support I've seen, where as from my experience, tech support with Veritas is better than Legato's.. Veritas is more expensive, but is it with it to get their support? Some say yes, some say no.

I think the bottom line is this.. Before making any decision, evaluate your short and long term needs, figure out how much money you can spend, do some testing and make your decision based on that.

Good Luck!

-ag100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back