Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is SATA drive with hybrid tray, can we use it in desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnelton

Vendor
Mar 3, 2021
CA
I was searching for upgrading my sata 3gbps hard disk drive to sata 6gbps hard disk drive, stumbled upon this sata 6gbps hybrid tray drive website, wondering if these kind of sata drives have used more advance tech than normal sata hard disk or is the same. I think the specs suggest it is not for kind of servers, can I go for it to use it in pc. What could be the most optimal specs for a sata drive if I have an average budget.

Er ... those are not drives. They are the trays in which a drive sites. These particular ones are configured to take either a 2.5" drive OR a 3.5". It is therefore the tray/caddy that is a hybrid, not the drives.

Never mind about the drive tray for a moment. If your motherboard can't support SATA3, you won't get a huge performance bump if you move from a SATA2 to SATA3 hard drive. AND if you're not moving from a spinning hard drive to an SSD, it's really not worth it. Better to invest a computer that supports SATA3 and either has an SSD already or can be upgraded at a later time. You don't want to chase foolish upgrades.

What brand/model is your computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back