Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is "webssearches"? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficeAnimal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
AU
I occasionally use Google Chrome as a browser. I have tried all the settings I can find to have it default to opening at . All to no avail. It persists in opening at webssearches.com.

There is no listing of webssearches.com in Control Panel --> Uninstall Programs. The only reference to webssearches I could find was an xml file C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\webssearches.xml which I have deleted. I still have this unwanted and un-asked-for browser.

How do I get rid of it and get to where I want to be?

All and any assistance appreciated.

"Truth will sooner come out from error than from confusion."
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

I would start with a malware scan, such as with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Also check your extensions (Tools, Extensions) and disable unknown or unwanted extensions. And double-check your settings (Tools, Settings), including On Startup, Appearance, Search, etc

I have tried just about every malware and temp file cleaner I can find including MalwareBytes which I ran again yesterday.
Still have the problem.

Do you use a shortcut to start the browser? If so, check the shortcut and what it has as a target, some of the hijackers will append the target and put a redirect on the end of the shortcut run line. So even if you search, and delete things, and reset the configuration, everytime you hit that shortcut, you get redirected.

rclarke250 - You're so right! [wavey2]

Thanks

Couldn't hurt to run Junk Removal Tool as well to see if you have any other browser annoyances/malware.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back