Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is "sfc/scannow" ? what does it do? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elihu

Technical User
Oct 19, 2005
US
I tried that on win2k and it cant find anything.
what does it do?
elihu

sfc is system file checker. when you type sfc/scannow it will ask for your windows disc. What it does is check your system files to see if any are missing , corrupted(changed). If they are it will replace them or add them. This process is used every now and then to be sure your system files are as they should be and not modified by programs , spyware/adware , viruses or anything of the like.

elihu
As electronicsfreak said it scans for corrupted files and replaces them.
When the command is given it will start the scan on your next boot up, and should be followed by a system Defrag.
The next time you run SFC pay attention to the boot up it will even tell you it is going to to a scan and will give you several seconds to decline.

tuco7 are you sure your not confusing scandisck with system file checker? for sfc can be run in windows and i dont ever remember it giving you a countdown.

Full details of SFC (System file checker) at:

You need to be logged in as administrator to run it.
If the Win2K setup files are located on the HDD (as is common with a lot of OEM setups), it will not ask for the CD-ROM.

It is quite smart and will use the latest version of the system file if there has been a correctly installed update.

LIVERPOOL FC - 5 times Champions of Europe. 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

thanks people! it is appreciated believe me.
elihu

electronicsfreak
you can run system file checker from mycomputer properties tools and you have the option to choose system file checker or scandisk, chosing system file checker , will not run on your active system drive till you reboot and it gives you a count down option to cancel, I mentioned nothing about scandisk!!

I have never had sfc ask me to reboot, until it's finished scanning and replacing. But I run it using the 'start'>'run'>"sfc /scannow" method. And it's always run on the active system drive.
He mentioned scandisk because it does force a reboot before scanning the active system drive.

it asks you to reboot if you use quiet mode i believe .. it depends on your settings.

~Shmoes

Sorry to ressurect this thread, but I was searching for some help with SFC.

Is it at all possible--in this age when it's common to install things from a network or harddrive, when people have lives beyond the computer and don't tape their install CD's to their shirtpocket--to have SFC allow you to point to a network or harddrive location instead of asking you for the damn CD??

Is this a registry setting? I recall that there was a key 'InstallLocation', but I'm not sure SFC looks at this key, my PC is an office PC and we have ours imaged by Dell, so I don't know how that affects the installlocation.

I mean, it's bad enough that the Hardware Install still prompts for the A: floppy drive when you install hardware, but it sure would make this utility a lot easier if I didn't have to keep hitting 'Cancel' then 'skip'. Is there a way around this?
Thanks,
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back