Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is process "-:0"??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedaver

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2001
US
I was noodling around my Ubuntu test box trying to find something else in "ps" when I saw a process named "-:0"!! I thought I'd been hacked.

I ordered ps with "ps ajfx" to get the process tree, and it turns out this thing is owned by X and xdm

Code:
    1  4461  4461  4461 ?           -1 Ss       0   0:00 /usr/bin/X11/xdm
 4461  4577  4577  4577 tty7      4577 Ss+      0   0:00  \_ /usr/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp -auth /var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A:0-dkvU06
 4461  4580  4580  4580 ?           -1 Ss       0   0:00  \_ -:0

It's very difficult to google for this string with results. I'm curious if anyone on this forum knows what this 'ps' entry is describing!

Thanks, D!

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

It looks like it is your X server
:0 stands for the first display of your X server
if you have a second display it would be :1 etc...

it also looks logical that xdm is the parent as it starts X, which has a child for every display...

G.

Excellent, glad it was an expected answer! Don't do too much GUI stuff on linux, so there's more to learn. Thanks!

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back