Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is Power Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

starvin

Programmer
Apr 9, 2001
US

I have been offered a job with a company using Powerbuilder.
What is it. I need to learn it quickly. Is there a trial
program I can practice with and a good tutorial page to reference.
I thank you.

Hello!

I´m working at ConNova Sytems in Motala in Sweden. We use Powerbuilder to develop Business Support Systems to Customers in the Pay-TV segment...

Powerbuilder is a objectoriented development tool, where you can embed standard-SQL syntax, C++ modules/components, Java-modules and so on. It´s something like Visual Basic, but is fully objectoriented in the development process.

You can register yourself and download a 30-day trial (full functionality) of Powerbuilder v8.0 at
At my company we work with v 6.5. We will not use the v 7.0, because of stability problems but will directly go on to v8.0x.

Regards
/Perra

Congratulations on getting to work in a great environment!

Powerbuilder is an Object Oriented, Event Driven, Graphical User Interfaced environment primarily geared for client / server applications. Powerbuilder is considered a 4th generation language. (C++ and Java are considered 3rd
generation languages.) With Powerbuilder, you get the object oriented power of the 3rd generation languages along with the GUI front-end of 4th generation languages. (VB gives you the GUI front-end but not the object-oriented power of the 3rd generation languages.)

Powerbuilder's first true strength is an object called the "Datawindow". It will be important for you to learn how to truly use this object and its related control, the datawindow control. If you become a good programmer
who understands Powerbuilder, you should almost never have to embed SQL in your Powerbuilder applications, as there is virtually no need. Datawindows allow you to encapsulate your SQL (along with a display format) into an object that can be used throughout your application.

2. Powerbuilder's second major strength is that it is truly object-oriented - Inheritance, Polymorphism, Encapsulation. In Powerbuilder, I can create my own classes and inherit from them, making my program much more robust and often easier to maintain. VB is not an object-oriented language.

3. Powerbuilder's third major strength is that it can connect to most databases. Unlike vendor specific tools, Powerbuilder allows the developer the freedom to develop on any database through native drivers. (Much faster, more stable, and better than using ODBC connections, for example.) For example, I created one application for an Access database and was able to place it directly onto an Oracle database without making 30 minutes worth of changes.

There is no other environment that I have used which even comes close to Powerbuilder in client/server. VB is not object oriented and does not have near the database manipulation power that Powerbuilder provides (and makes
it look easy). However, if you have used VB before, then
you will be familar with some of the standard controls found in Powerbuilder. Java and C++ may provide a bit more flexibility and fewer limitations but the design and maintenance costs would be extremely higher than a 4th
generation language like Powerbuilder.

PB Books and Tips:
1. Make sure PowerBuilder's "ONLINE BOOKS" are installed onto your work computer! This will become your life's blood.

2. Utilize the software package that comes with the PB software (if purchased) called "Infobase". Infobase will provide you with a lot of great examples of how to implement your code.

3. Get some good PB books and get old issues of Powerbuilder Journal Magazine. You did not say which version of PB you will be using. There were some changes with the interface from version 6.5 to 7, but there is an incredible amount of changes from 7 to 8. You should get a basic fundamentals book and any of the unleashed books. Start off with the basic book and graduate to the unleashed. (Go to amazon.com and type in powerbuilder to get a list of available books.)
Or BookPool.com

4. Learn your datawindow - Know your datawindow - Love your datawindow. There is an entire book devoted to the datawindow in powerbuilder - get it. :)

5. Once you have the fundamentals down, begin learning the proper techniques for implementing good Object Oriented Programming. Learn to create user objects, custom user objects, and non-visual user objects. Inherit from those user objects rather than recreating a new control like VB programmers have to do. (Powerbuilder is only object oriented if the programmer codes that way!)

6. Graduate into learning Powerbuilder's PFC's (Powerbuilder Foundation Classes).

7. Did I say Know your datawindow?

8. Know your SQL. Powerbuilder offers a nice GUI interface for creating your SQL statements for your Datawindows but it is always best to know how to do it yourself.

9. Check your local junior colleges for courses on Powerbuilder.

10. SHIFT-F1 in the script painter brings up Help. Learn how to use it!

Good Luck and Welcome to Powerbuilder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back