Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is p54c and p55c?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hi<br>somebody know what does it mean this jumper?

um, that depends on your motherboard, got your manual around? <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

selects type of processor.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;54c is flat all the way across the top.<br>55c has raised section about half the size of the complete chip.<br>And this may be significant when it comes to voltage selection at another place on the board. <br> <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>

P54c is the older type of standard Intel Pentium CPU, P55c is the Intel Pentium MMX - this is significant in that they use differing voltages, and the MMX uses dual voltage - some older boards won't support the MMX. The P54c uses 3.4 volts, while the P55c, or MMX, uses in the 2.x range. The MMX came in 3 types, the wafer, which was the thin type that looked kind of like cardboard with the tops of the pins showing through, the standard ceramic, and what was called &quot;Bakelite&quot;. The P54c or standard came only in ceramic. Hope that helps answer your question. For further info, see - there is a section there explaining the difference.

Simply it is the (single voltage) CPU selector and speed jumpers (usually JP6,7,8). P54C are for Intel and IDT Cpu's of 233Mhz and under and the P55C are for Intel MMX, AMD K6's +, IBM/Cyrix's over 233Mhz. However there are some exceptions. These are usually for the Socket 7 Motherboards and some dual technology PII Slot 1's.
Most now are P55C and are automaticly set. The only thing to worry about is the CPU clock speed itself. Which on dual tech boards are on JP7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back