Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is my tape drive doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusBrown

Programmer
Nov 24, 2000
GB
Hi,

I have a Sony SDX-D700C external SCSI AIT drive that I'm using to read data from SDX3-100C tapes, with a simple c++ application (vc++, w2k). The problem is this: if I run my application as soon as windows has loaded it will allow me to create a handle to the tape drive (using CreateFile(...)) and load the tape (using PrepareTape(...)) but when I then use ReadFile(...) to read data from the tape it fails with error 87 (the parameter is incorrect). However, if I close the application, wait for around a minute and run it again it works perfectly. During that 1 minute wait the tape drive clicks and whirs and does something - the question is what?
At the moment I've told my client that he just has to wait for 1 minute between loading Windows and running my app but that's hardly the ideal solution. Is there a way I can force whatever the drive is doing in that 1 minute wait?

It's possible that I've completely missunderstood the problem so if you have any other ideas I'm willing to listen!

Thanks,

Gus

tape drives work much diffrently than HD, CDROMS and Floppies in such a way that data are stored/read SEQUENTIALLY. this is likely the reason why you have to wait some time for your app to gain access to the data stored in the tape.

kilroy [trooper]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back