Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is Matching CPU'S and do i need them

Status
Not open for further replies.

kes101

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
GB
Hello again friends and thanks for looking. I find myself here again seeking knowledge from the most wise. My question is... What is meant by a matching pair of CPU's?? I often see processors for sale as a matching pair. Secondly I am going to build a dual processor system(xeon dual 3.06's)do i have to uses a matching pair of CPU's? or can I buy one CPU from Mr x and another from Mr y? I thank you in anticipation of a response.

Yes, you CAN but the performance will not be as good as it would be with a matching pair.

It has to do with the stepping, and unfortunately, I can't find my REALLY explanatory article that I located when I had this same question about a year ago... Above are a couple links to some somewahat less explanatory articles, but informative, nonetheless... I'll keep searching and if I locate it, I'll post back.

I would consider going to a 4GHz single CPU instead of going to a dual 3Gig set. It will be much cheaper, it will require less power, and the performance gain of a dual processor set is far less than twice the power of a single processor. You may want to check for dual and single processor benchmarks for your typical application before putting all this money on a dual-xeon. Dual-processor boards are far from being the panacea that Intel wants people to think. I did design a dual Pentium card in the past, and the performance gain was hardly noticeable.

Again, it depends on what the system will be used for. In a server environment, SQL or DB2 database for example, a dual-CPU config might be more beneficial than a fast single processor. The Xeons have large L3 cache which helps more in this type of scenario.

For a desktop workstation, it isn't worth paying the extra $$ for a dual-xeon rig.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back