Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is legal and what is not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckes101

Technical User
Feb 8, 2006
GB
Hi everyone and thank you for taking the time to look at my thread. I have a real simple question to ask about legal software. i was asked this question by a friend of mine and realized i could not give an answer. So here goes...when a new PC is purchased that has an operating system installed on it(lets say XP for arguments sake) should the original disk be supplied?? I know a COA must me attached to the machine. But i am unsure as to whether a disc must be included. I have noticed there are many gaming PC's sold on auction site's(brand new machines) that state the operating system is pre installed on machine(no disc supplied). Surely this isn't legal?? Or is it??

Yes it is leagal. There are authorized dealers out there like dell that just stamp out images that are preloaded to stop at the screen for the license number and all you get are Dell disk that allow you to restore from the maintenance partition on the drive and not from an actual MS Xp CD.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

That depends on the type of machine, and OS installation.

Most manufacturers these days do not supply the OS discs with their machines, instead they supply what is known as a hidden Recovery Partition which allows you to create these discs when you turn on the PC for the first time.

This usually creates a Recovery disc that when used reads from the hidden partition, and re-installs an OEM version of the OS that goes along with the COA that is stuck to the Machine.

So these types of machines usually have no Os discs to go along with them.

However if the machine is a parts built machine and has an OS installed on it, then a Os disc must be supplied with it mostly because these types of machines usually have a Retail version f the Os installed 9as opposed to an OEM).

The disc itself, proves the Os is legit, and normally has the Key attached to its cover.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back