Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is ipc$ in win2000 server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
I'm setting up a small business, but before I open to the public, I setup 3 computers, all are pentium III's 800Mhz, 512Mb Ram, 1 has an 80Gb HD, and the other 2 have 20Gb drives, 1 of them is setup as a server running win2000 pro, the others (1 in the office, and the other in the shop) are running win98 se, they are linked to the server via a router, all are using 100M/b etherlink cards, lan ip addresses have been successfully issued by the dhcp server, and file sharing has been enabled on the 2000 server, but when I try to access the resources from either of the other machines it says 'Enter password for //name/IPC$', what password? what is IPC$? (which doesn't match the names I gave to some of the shared resources), there is nowhere to setup an access password for shared resources, only access permissions.

Serbtastic.........After looking at the page you suggested, I found, that by logging in on the 98 machines using the same administrator login and password I created on the server, I can access the server resources. I have a small question, by creating a new user in the admin console in 2000, would I have to login to that user name everytime I started the 2000 server, E.G, when I close shop, I shut down all the systems, at the moment I have win2000 set up so I don't have to log on, it assumes the same logon name and password has been entered.

No, if you create a new user on your Win 2000 machine, you would not have to login with the new user name/password. It should continue to log in with the same logon/password automatically, just like it is now.

Serbastic...........You have been a great help, thankx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back