Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is Interface Reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

norsyam21

ISP
Jul 3, 2001
MY
Hi,

I have Cisco Router 7000 series which connected its Fast Ethernet port to a Cisco Catalyst 2900 series. Currently it facing some problem. When I do a show interface command for Fast Ethernet, I found that the value of Interface Reset is so high.

What does Interface Reset means? Does it indicate physical problem or else?

Thank in advanced.

Interface resets occur as a result of too many different events for it to be relied upon as a sole troubleshooting means. I presume that you have cleared your counters and are not looking at something that happend two years ago. Resets aren't averaged over a recent period of time (like load, etc) but are counted from the last reboot or 'clear counters.'

One common cause for resets is protocol down. The router resets the interface in an attempt to start all over and get protocol negotiated. I also understand that buffer overflows, timeouts, etc. can cause resets.

take it you have checked Autonegotiation and in particular Duplex and Speed parameters on both ends ?, if not try setting to half-duplex then watch counters (having cleared first) then ramp up etc
J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back