Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is in a WISE file? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vradice

Programmer
Jan 18, 2003
US
How can I see what is in a WISE install file without running the install program? I have an old scanner (i.e. no longer supported) and would like to see if some software for a newer version will work. I would like to extract from the install file some support utilities but am afraid the install will wipe out my current software. I know that wip PKZIP files, WINZIP can extract individual file from a self-extracting ZIP file. Is there a similar program that will work on self-extracting WISE files? Thank you, Vince Radice

I happen to see this on a web site. But I found the /X option could truncate long file names, and also, it doesn't extract directory names.
--------------------------------------------------------
Installation programs created by WISE offer three command line options. These options are:

/M Manual Mode The /M option runs the installation in manual mode. You will be prompted for the locations of your Windows, System, and Temp directories. You can specify any directories, if they do not exist they will be created. Any changes to INI files will be saved into the Windows directory that you specify. With this option you can have the installtion file run without installing any files into your real Windows and System directory. You can then manually copy the files to their proper destination. This option can also be useful for clients that have unique Windows installations.
/X Extract Mode If you run the installation executable with the /X option, list of the files contained will be displayed. You can select some of the files to extract them from the installation. If you place a directory name after the /X option all of the files in the installation will be extracted into the specified directory.
/Z Extract Mode The /Z option performs the same function as the /X option except that Windows is exited after the extraction.

Thank You - that did what I hoped. I was able to extract some of the files. The next question is - will that do what I want. Again, Thanks, Vince Radice

hey whatsmore i need your help
i have a same problem with vradice but ...
My setup file is Vise Installer and i want to extract its contents to replace some files.
Please help me out of this !!!!!!!!!!

I used the /x option with a directory and was able to select the files I wanted. (I could have selected all of them if I wanted.) You would select only the ones you wanted and then copy/move them to where you want them. You do realize that you must run this from a DOS command window - right? Good luck, Vince Radice

Thank you for reply me.

But i still can't extract its files

My setup is Vise Installer from Mindvision

Please help me again.

Thank you.

In your last reply, you said Vise Installer. Is this a mis-type and you have Wise Installer? If so, please describe in detail exactly what you are doing and what is happening.
I entered the following command:
d:\my downloads\9320.exe /xd:\junk\test1
All of the files were extracted to d:\junk\test1.

I also tried d:\my downloads\9302.exe /x
The installer started, displayed a window with all of the files and asked me to select the ones I wanted. I clicked on one file and then clicked OK. I was then presented with a "Save File As" dialog box. Please try again, write down EVERYTHING you type, and exactly what happens.

Vince Radice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back