Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is IMAP4 ??? and How to be used ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiravSir

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
IN
Hello...

I nirav khanderia wants to know that what is IMAP4 and how it is used to send/get the mails through the local intranet.

I have "vypress messenger" in the place of "winpopup"
I can easily chat through the intranet but I can't send or receive mails...they are asking IMAP/POP3 server name but I don't know what should i do ????

Anyone's proper help would be appreciated
Nirav

Nirav:
Hello. IMAP is a mail protocal it's used to send and recieve mail. It will leave a copy of the mail that you request on the the mail server you request it from. POP3 will take that same mail and move it to your local machine without a copy on the server. If you don't have the address of the server you can not set it up. You must have this information. Speak to your administrator they should have it for you.

Hope this helps
Erick

The Internet Message Access Protocol, Version 4 (IMAP4) allows a client to access and manipulate electronic mail messages on a server. IMAP4 permits manipulation of remote message folders, called "mailboxes", in a way that is functionally equivalent to local mailboxes. IMAP4 also provides the capability for an offline client to resynchronize with the server.
IMAP4 includes operations for creating, deleting, and renaming mailboxes; checking for new messages; permanently removing messages; setting and clearing flags; RFC 822 and MIME parsing; searching; and selective fetching of message attributes, texts, and portions thereof. Messages in IMAP4 are accessed by a set of either sequence numbers (relative position from 1 to the number of messages in the mailbox) or immutable unique identifiers.

Silkep

dEAR ALL

I KNOW THAT I MUST HAVE IP ADDRESS. BUT WHICH IP ADDRESS SHOULD I USE (REAL IP ???)??

AND IF I WANT TO GET MAILS FROM YAHOO THEN WOULD I ??
IF YES THEN EXPLAIN ME

THANX FOR WRITING
nIRAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back