Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

downtime

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2002
US
I am part of a p2p network. I have a XP machine. When a access a shared drive on a w2k machine it prompts me for a log on. No big deal. The problem is, shouldn't it know my log on since I am log on to the xp machine? I have the same account on the w2k machine already set up. I know this because I can log onto a win98 machine and when I access the shared drive on it, it doesn't prompt me for a log on? Is there a setting on XP that I should have active?

Thanks

Try this:

Control Panel\User Accounts
CLick on te icon that is You, and in the upper right hand corner click on "Mnagae my Network Passwords"

Don't ya just love XP????

How do you add a password in the Manage My Network passwords. The only passwords I saw where internet related?

it only works under domain controller, if you do not have a domain, all computers act as a work group
so accounts under computer don't get recognized on another

..."I have the same account on the w2k machine already set up."...

You need to make absolutely sure that the account you have setup on the 2k machine matches the one on the XP machine EXACTLY (both username and password). I run the same setup at home and have no problems accessing 2k from xp or vice versa.

Why is it that when I use a win 98 machine It automatically recognizes the logon? And with XP I have to re logon?

Win98 is not made for network, more like a home OS
where XP is more secure, that's one reason Microsoft took Win2k and revise into WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back