Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is fntldr.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindy2258

Technical User
Jan 12, 2004
CA
ever time i start up my computer this comes up can't find fntldr.exe file what is it

I think you should remove floppy disk from floppy disk drive and start it again.

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

For viewing things that run at startup you can also try Start... Run... msconfig

In the last tabe you get easy access to turning on or off all the startup items on your computer.

msconfig doesn't work on some older windows OSes, but I forget which ones.

If you believe there is more ad/spyware on your computer there are programs to remove them such as ad-aware from ad-aware.com. Do not confuse this with ada-ware.com. :)

I agree Esquared.
Programs like ad-aware are good to run every now and again, as well as virus checkers like sophos. :)

Don't hate the player - hate the game

Yes it's a virus hangover. I know because I had it too and your message was one I read when looking for a soln. Well I have the answer now:

You have just experienced this virus - Symantec Security Response - Adware.SearchCounter which will have modified your computer in oh 30 or so different ways (pleasant!)

If you have Norton it may well clear it all up in one go. If you don't and do not fancy cleaning up all this mess yourself go to download.com (so you know the copies are not themselves hacked) and get the programs ad-aware and spybot. Run ad-aware first. It will clear up the mess in your registry but miss something called a hosts redirect - the main sign of which will be that when you type something into the internet explorer address bar that is not recognised the autosearch function will have been hijacked and you will be taken to the website of the hacker's choice. Now run Spybot which will spot and repair this "hosts redirect" for you. ...29 down and one to go.

Finally edit the win.ini file in your windows directory to prune out fntldr.exe from the run= line. You can use the notepad to do this. ..You may have other things there you want to keep. Track the files down in windows explorer to right click them, look at the version details and find out who made them. Make a note of the original line and think about trial removal of any you were not expecting. You can always edit them back in if they were required after all.

Oh - and public thanks to the moron who wrote this adware in the first place! They are real scumbags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back