Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is Flash MX??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Is Flash MX a Flash 5 add-on or is this suppose to be Flash 6 [MX]?

And do I have to Uninstall Flash 5 if I want to use Flash MX?

it's like flash6, the new browser plugin is called flash6. and no, you can run both flash5 and flashMX at the same time. i did ^_^

...And I still do! Even Flash 4 for that matter! Regards,

new.gif

So when you say "its like Flash 6" does that mean they already released Macromedia Flash 6 and Flash MX is an Add-on for Flash 6?? I'm a little lost. Is Flash MX suppose to be Flash 6 that has everything Flash 4-5 have with additional features?

Flash MX is the new release of Flash. So Flash 4, Flash 5, Flash MX. So Flash MX is Flash 6 (the new plugin is called Flash player 6)
funkymonk2.jpg

rod@sameplanet.co.uk

ya, macromedia desided to go with MX instead of 6 to confuse people who don't keep up to date with flash technology. what dose MX stand for anyway?

There's been a lot of speculation on that!
Xciting! Xpert! Xwhatever!
Seriously, it seems it would mean Macromedia - 10 years (roman numeral = X)... But go figure!
Regards,

new.gif

Why couldnt they just name it Flash 6 or Flash MVI (VI = Roman numeral 6)

By the way everyone! The MX in "Flash MX" stands for Macromedia Experience.

But Macromedia Experience is "ME." Did they discard the E, so that it wouldn't look like "Windows ME?"

Who cares, just play with it!:)
funkymonk2.jpg

rod@sameplanet.co.uk

I agree with Funkymonk, just play with it. But if you do want speculation, M=1000,X=10 so MX=1010(for all you roman numeral buffs out there)
Visual1

Oh well.... So why 1010....?
funkymonk2.jpg

rod@sameplanet.co.uk

Maybe they added "X" because it represents The Next Generation? And "M" came from Macromedia, so if you were to read this in a long way, it could be:
"Flash Macromedia Next Generation X"

Hi all,

Actually MX" is a marketing plan to incorporate all of MM's products into one integrated family.

"MX" is not an acronym for anything - but feel free to make something up as
most people do - but you won'r find anything anywhere that it officially
stands for something - it's just a name.

Like April M.Cox said...

For stands for Maximum Xtensibility... because having sat through the presentation, that's where the power of MX really seems to be. The most interesting thing about MX from my perspective is the ability to EXTEND cold fusion by creating components. Using the new .cfc extension a developer can create functions that can be called locally, from the network on another machine, and even from the world wide web. Talk about extensibility! The tags are simple and easy to use, and extremely powerful. CF MX will make calling .net, Flash, JSP, Java easier than right from their native environment. And there's more... XML, automatic SOAP encoding, creation of security for your services, security, self-documenting CFC's. This is one of the most exciting releases EVER!

If you'll go to Macormedia.com, and search for MX you'll get this : you can find a lot of faq's here about Macromedia MX.

Thanks/Regards
Sidney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back