Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is Fairque in cisco routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thusitha

ISP
Apr 8, 2003
LK

What is Fairque in cisco routers ?
Thank's
Thusitha(ISP)

Weighted Fair Queuing

it is a queuing mechanism (for buffers: the perferred order for the router to process packets) in Cisco routers.

it classifies traffic and says "service the packets in system buffers that have low bandwidth traffic first". it has some shortcomings but it is best used on slow speed serial links.

i am not 100% sure but i think the default is FIFO, First In First Out (first packet into the router is the first packet going out of the router). Do a show interface to see what you serial int has.

Get Connected - I.T.

WFQ gives interactive traffic a higher priority than bulk transfers. For instance if your using telnet and someone starts an FTP session the telnet response could degrade if the router is running FIFO. WFQ would give a noticable improvment to the telnet session in this case.

As gconnect says, it is best on slow speed links, but I've used it on 34Meg frame links without any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back