Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2006
US
We've just procured a dedicated Windows 2003 server at a hosting site to host a website. It is running Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition.

We can connect to this machine using Remote Desktop, but we are unable to do this:

FROM this 2003 machine, we can send out a Remote ASSISTANCE request, but our tech in our office is unable to connect to it. When he accepts the invitation, he gets a message instructing us to check our firewalls, etc.

If we couldn't connect to it using Remote Desktop, I would be looking at ports and firewalls, but we CAN connect to it using Remote Desktop. To confirm, we've turned off the Windows firewall on the 2003 machine, and we're still not able to connect using Remote Assistance.

We've run a port scan on the 2003 machine and port 3389 is not open... but recall that we CAN connect using Remote Desktop.

Is there a way to configure which port Remote Desktop will use?... thereby explaing why we can connect using RDP but not Remote Assistance? Maybe Remote Desktop is using another port beside 3389...?

I'm a little confused as to the difference between remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, and Terminal Services. Can someone assist with us being able to connect using Remote Assistance?

For the truly interested, here's WHY we are trying to do this.... and I apoligize for not being able to explain it very well.

We use a remote support tool that is installed by the local user. If we try to install it ourselves while connected using Remote Desktop, it doesn't work. This is where I get a little confused. This remote support tool is installed in that "Remote Desktop" account, not in a real user's account... (?)... If we were physically in front of this machine and installing it, it would work just fine... it's only when we install it remotely that it flakes out.

And since this is a machine sitting in a hosting site a thousand miles away in a room with a thousand other PCs, it's just a little more difficult to get a tech at the hosting site to physically go in front of this machine and install a program for us. We're hoping that by connecting using Remote Assistance will put us in that same "session" so we can install our remote control program.

Make sense? Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back