Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is CR waiting on during "Accessing Database" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swc123

MIS
Oct 28, 2002
US
The location I'm at often experiences long waits during which time the lower left corner reads "Accessing Database", before it finally gets to reading records. Is it something in the reports(s)? or tuning within CR? Windows? the ODBC Driver? We're using CR7 and sql92 - Merant 3.6 32 bit PROGRESS sql92 v9.1b. Any ideas?

Accessing Database means that the client is waiting for the database to finish processing the query.

If you go to the Database menu, Show SQL, and copy the SQL from here directly to your database client, you should experience a similar wait until Crystal Reports switches to Reading Records, which means Crystal is processing the returned records.

If you're waiting longer than you expect, check that as much of your selection criteria as possible is passing to your SQL, and that you're taking advantage of all available indexes where appropriate.

Naith

Naith - Thanks. I've got it conceptually but am not expert (aka knowledgeable) about the database client side. The report is bascially searching a large portion of the database - all open items, so it could take a while. I will investigate the index availability though.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back