Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is causing error 6 or error 50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
Been trying to help a freind with a used xp machine. He's had dial up for a long time, but never with this machine. Old machine died. We've been calling customer diservice for a couple of weeks now, keep getting sent over to India. By now we've got it down pat. Get Error 6 - the handle is not valid 3 times, then it gets Error 50 - the request is not supported. If I reboot, it goes back to error 6. Each time we call customer diservice they end up with the same thing. Go to start, control panel, networking, what do you see. Delete the dial up, lets start a new one. End up "It's a bad modem." We've put in 3 brand new modems with the same problems. This last time, I said enough is enough. I want a supervisor. I told him this has been going on for two weeks, told him everything we've gone through. He apologized, asked for my number. Said he would research it, and call back within the half hour. He did. Said I need a new modem. [pc] I can find the errors on google, but to find the solution, I have to join the club and pay the fee. What the sam hill is going on? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
[americanflag]
Support our Troops!

No personal experience of these errors, but this is what I've found so far...

Error 6

1. This is a memory issue, try rebooting the computer. A cold boot might be good in this instance.

2. If a reboot doesn't resolve it, this could be a RAM or Swap file issue.

Error 50 - The request is not supported.

Windows XP -

When you attempt to go online, you may get a message:

All devices connected. Error 50: The request is not supported.

This error may be caused by the WINDOWS FIREWALL being set to prevent incoming and/or outgoing communications on the dial-up connection.

To test if this is the case:
Go to CONTROL PANEL -> Windows Firewall; turn the firewall OFF and see if the error disappears.

If the error disappears, turn the Windows Firewall back ON, and check the settings in the Exceptions tab, and the Advanced tab -> for the dial-up connection. If you cannot locate the bad entry, you can try the 'Restore Defaults' button in the advanced tab (which may produce other undesirable problems depending upon your configuration and software you've added). You could also consider replacing the Windows Firewall with another product as it is dangerous to operate with no firewall.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back