Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is Business Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenshindhe

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
GB
Hi,
Can anyone please let me know wat is busineess objects and wat it is used for
Thanks
Naveen

Business Objects is a user friendly front end for the database data your organization has. Your MIS department can invest minimal resources to enable users structured access to company records which would otherwise use up massive MIS resources and (usually) force the users to wait months for the reports they need. Much of the user development of each report is off-loaded from the database engine to the user's PC, to minimize the effect ad-hoc reporting has on the database engine. Business Objects can also merge data from multiple sources, so the spread sheets they are secretly using to run the company can at least be compared to the offical data.

(I expect alternate views on Business Objects uses, but these are the ones I see in my organization)

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Not so much an alternative view, but perhaps adding to Palmer's experience:
BO is ideally suited for creating complex reports , preferably on a datawarehouse-environment, creating a uniform look into corporate data. Since BO is mostly based on SQL, it's advantage offers a more user-friendly interface through drag and drop with users not needing to be familiar with SQL. Formatting of reports stands worlds apart from the looks of Access or cheaper reporting tools, but it aims at being more efficient, because a good insight into SQL will give you other opportunities with more adaptable tools.
If you have a lot of ad-hoc query works to resolve, BO may not be the best bet. (I use either Specific SQL tools like TOAD or fall back to fiddling with Access), but I you want lots of standard reporting look no further.

Unsurpassed is the security model and the central storage of original documents. The more complex an organization the more this will pay off. Having lost a laptop to theft I was pleased to know that all corporate data was useless for any thief since it was stored as BO documents, without proper security no one will be able to get at the data.....

Since BO has been on the market for quite a long time, it has the advantage of having a large group of followers and an active community. The disadvantage is that it still is basically what they designed back then, each version is a bit slicker , but to my experience it takes still quite some time for users to adapt. Other - newer - reporting tools are more intuitive, with BO likeness to Excel in some areas causing confusion with some users. (such as filtering)

BO will serve as a final solution for reporting, if every report has to be 'sweetened' in order to be accepted (or manually corrected ,how often this appears to be the case!) you may be better of with a module like business query (if that is still available!)

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back