Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is best way to setup IP Addressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgtek

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
I have a small network, 1 W2k Server and 4 XP-Pro desktops. The only access to the internet is via two of the desktops on a dial-up connection. What is the easiest and best setup for IP Addresses?

Bgtek,

You could use ICS, (Internet Connection Sharing) which would manage your IP's for you. The computer that is sharing the connection would in essence act as a mini DHCP server and hand out address in the 192.168.0.0/24 range.

This would allow all of your machines access to the Internet and simplify your IP configuration.

Check this out,

Patty [ponytails2]

Patty,
Thanks for the note. I actually tried that and there is a problem with ICS if you have a DC. The link that you sent indicates in Warning #2 that you can not use ICS with a domain controller. I gave that one a good try previously but couldn't find a way past it.

Any other ideas???

Bgtek,

If your only concern is connectivity between machines on your Internal network you can setup a DHCP server on your DC and hand out addresses in one of the Private ranges.

There are three blocks of private IP addresses:

10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255

Are you looking for Internet connectivity for all machines on your Internal network?

Patty

Thanks Patty,
We've decided we do not need internet access on other machines so I'm liking your other suggestion. Do I need to setup DHCP or can I just have fixed IP's for each station? Say I used the 10.0.0.0 option, could I setup my server with:
IP: 10.0.0.1 subnet: 255.0.0.0 Gateway: NONE DNS: 10.0.0.1
and the clients with:
IP: 10.0.0.2 - 5 subnet: 255.0.0.0 Gateway: None DNS: 10.0.0.1

Would that work?
Thank you!!!

Here's what I did at home and it works like a charm. High speed cable modem to destop. Desktop to wireless router. Recieve dhcp address from cable, have fixed ip on laptop with wireless card. Run fixed IP on the laptop, with the same subnet as the desktop, and the desktop is the gateway for the laptop. Works like a charm. I can wander the house and surf the internet. Think about it. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"It's not what you look at that
matters, it's what you see."
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862); US essayist, poet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back