Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is best way to find a document in Sharepoint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtorres13

Technical User
Nov 11, 2006
US
I have very little kowledge of Sharepoint and for what I've read, documents can be tagged, then found when creating a view that pulls the documents by their metadata. That, to me, is the easiest way to later on, find a document. I have also been reading about workflows and how to automate the creation of documents, so that they are automatically tagged at creation point.

The problem is that we have a Sharepoint database that is being used as a document repository with no views or workflows. Instead we are using a folder structure, just like in the Windows file system.
I'm trying to educate my higher-ups into overhauling the site and really use it the way it's "supposed to be used." I"m trying to learn as much as possible in the shortest amount of time about Sharepoint.

Anyway, that's just the introduction to my question.

While we formulate a plan to get things running the way they should, I need to find a way to make it super easy to find documents they way they are store right now, in folders.

Think of it as if you were my boss and you wanted to find a documnt, and it magically appears. That's the way she/he wants it; fast and easy, not having to think about in which folder the file may be stored. The search feature is great, but pulls too many results, probably because documents are not tagged properly, I know. I'm working on the overhaul plan, but I need help to make what we have now work. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

PS. I would also appreciate any tips on resources for crash learning to design and/or customize a Sharepoint site using views and workflows.

If you are dealing with a large library, searching is the fastest way to find a document.

Other options / ideas.
Yes, metadata is needed.
After you create columns (metadata) and tag your documents, you can then create Views to filter the data.

You can also leverage property promotion to create advanced search solutions.

Property Promotion:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back