Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is AL1-AL4,unit:port...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdamis

ISP
Feb 7, 2005
JO
I have 3com switch superstack 3 and I want to configure it and I did but I don't know what is AL1-AL4 ?
thanks

Aggregated Link 1 - Aggregated Link 4 :) Sounds good to me

what is Aggregated Link 1 - Aggregated Link 4 what do u mean by aggregated link .

AL1 is Aggregate Link number 1.... this is a process of "trunking" multiple ports together logically to create a trunk between switches. This allows you to increase your bandwidth with little or no cost.

How to: on main or core switch, define AL1 as having 2 ports, lets say ports 1 and 2.

On downstream switch, also define AL1 (doesn't matter if it is AL1 or 2,3,4) and include in it 2 ports on that switch, lets say ports 23 and 24.

Now connect port 1 --> 23 and port 2 --> 24

You now have 200meg (or 2 Gig) link for load balancing and redundancy. If either port/connection drops you will still connect on the other link with no problems.

NOTE: it is best to set this up with the 2 switches DISCONNECTED from each other, avoids loops and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back