Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is a workflow opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMissMaya

Programmer
Nov 23, 2011
CA
I am not sure where to post this sorry. I am working on a new project - selecting appropriate software to handle our department's workflow. What is your opinion on a workflow? In my opinion a workflow is data or a task that is passed back and forth from one person to another. In particular, Person B does not complete the next step until Person A has done their part, i.e., approved, rejected, whatever. I'm a little frustrated in this project because they want all these steps to take place simultaneously and regardless if the other person has "clicked their action". To me, I don't think that is a true workflow. It doesn't make sense to continue on in the procedure if there are errors in the data file or you need a sign off.

Can anyone else comment? Perhaps I'm inflexible in my thinking?

I have developed workflows in the past in Visual Studio 2010 as well as SharePoint. I think of a workflow as an assembly line. If I put something on the assembly line, then it goes to the next person to do something. That could be add or modify something or simply approve or deny the item to move forward. I have also built workflows that have multiple approvers at certain points along the assembly line. You could have the option be that ALL approvers must approve, the majority must approve, or only one needs to appprove. Finally, there is the concept of Branching Workflow. This would be like the assembly line converting from one belt to three and the item breaking up into three.

You will find some additional information on Workflows here:

Hope this helps!

JBlack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back