Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is a good model of KVM switch to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chifu

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2001
GB
My server room is now over loaded with monitors, keyboards and mouses and a KVM switch would be useful.

I have heard that not all KVM switches work with NT. What are people using in there server rooms ?

We had good luck with Belkin products as well as a Commander switch. The problem we seemed to run across occasionally was that if a server was rebooted and was not the active server on the switch, the mouse wouldn't work. This was not a problem with the Belkin or Commander switch. Mike Brown CCA

Thanks for the info. I am in the UK. Belkin can be purchased here, is there a recomended model ?

I don't remember the models we used, sorry. Mike Brown CCA

I recently purchased an Avocent SwitchView to resolve the problem of inactive mouse or keyboard controls. This unit has completely solved the problem. It can be managed through the keyboard or by a simple push button on the front of the switch. Lights indicate which CPU's are on standby and which one is active. :)

Also, Compaq makes a good KVM switch. I am also familiar with Cybex Commander. Both work well. Belkin, as I understand is a very good model too. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back