Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is a DMZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib999

Programmer
May 18, 2005
CA
Can someone explain to me what a DMZ is? What do I need to know about it if I'm trying to setup a hosting service from within an office network?

DMZ is a DeMilitarized Zone...it basically means a computer/hub/switch that sits between your Internet access and your network.

Typically you have a router that connects to the Internet, you then connect a switch to the router, then plug your firewall into the switch and sit your protected network behind the firewall.

You put systems in the DMZ that you need to be visible to the world via the Internet, such as web servers, ftp servers, DNS servers, etc. These systems plugged into the DMZ are accessible (and vulnerable) to the Internet.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

lander215 is correct, however stating that a DMZ sits between the internet and internal network could be misleading.

A DMZ is a seperate network that is used for systems that need a Public IP. Often when a DMZ is diagramed, it will be drawn as a seperate "leg" off of your exterior router and/or external firwall. Often you will have two physical or logical firwalls, one for the DMZ and one for your internal network, depending on how secure you need to be and what traffic you need to route between your internal network and your DMZ. There are several common designs and you should have no issues finding diagrams and samples on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back