Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What installer could use for my applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

capri1966

Programmer
May 13, 2010
ES
Hi, I've some applicatons and i'm thinking to make easiest way to install it. But what installers couold suggest me.

Hi,

Try innosetup. It’s free and works very well with VFP (I use VFP9SP2).

Regards, Gerrit

Installshield Express comes with VFP9, but that's not the first nor even the second choice to use nowadays. Even though you have the updated merge modules with VFP9 SP2, the setups it creates all have a problem: Their progress bar seems to get stuck for such a long time that many users will think it crashed and cancel the setup or kill it in the task manager.

There's the most info about Inno setup for scripts to use with VFP applications, which makes it the choice number 1. There are more modern installation methods and suites. WiX, just to name one example. For very simple apps you could even use a self extracting archive, when nothing really needs registration or other steps needing the elevation of a setup, that even makes it a portable app.

Chriss.

I would also vote for Inno Setup. It is mainly script-based. You define your setup requirements by writing a script, using various commands and functions - not all that different from writing a program in VFP. The syntax looks a little complicated at first glance, but it is all clearly explained in the documentation. And there are plenty of sample scripts floating around, including for VFP. Once you have created a script for one application, you can usually adjust it and re-use it for another.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back