Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what if paging space hits %100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrdfarmer

Vendor
Apr 12, 2004
US
Hi all. System has been rebooted in a while and its sitting at 82% utilized paging space (lsps -a). I shouyld be able to reboot it this weekend, but I am still juggling...what will happen if I dont reboot before it gets up to 95-100%?

Hi,

You will have very poor system performance all the way up to 99%.

If it goes to 100% utilisation, the system will start earmarking processes, that are heavy users of the paging space, for termination (not a healthy situation to be in).

Usually the result of this is your system locking up or crashing.

You probably need more paging space, and more memory, or to move some applications from that host to another. Cant say for sure which of the above apply to you without knowing your current memory and paging space sizes.

Best of luck. :)

Also,

Could you please post the results of:

1. lsps -a
2. bootinfo -r
3. ps auxw | sort –r +3 |head –20

Thanks

"Long live king Moshiach !"

It doesn't necessarily need more memory. It could be overcomitted memory. It just might be poor configuration.

Too True.

My gut feel is coloured by seeing too many medium to well tuned systems crushed under the weight of badly spec'd/configured applications ;-)

Think I'll reserve judgement till we get a look at the stats levw requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back