Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What I have and want to do Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRaven

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2005
CA
Ok here's the situation and I'll try to be breif.

Home LAN
5 computers all running XP Pro
Canon GP30 Networked printer/photocopier
Ultra Highspeed cable internet connection 5Mb/s average

what I have for com gear
Currently have:
D-Link 604 router and an Asante 10Mb hub in service
Intel 520T Epress Switch on rack not setup yet

Getting:
Cisco 2516 Hub/Router and a 3Com LinkBuilder 3C16671 Managed Hub. These are EBay wins.

Now my question is can I replace the D-Link with the Cisco? That is connect my Cable Modem to it? or should I use the 520T or the LinkBuilder for the Modem?
The Reason I asking this is because like alot of people I'm also experencing access problems under XP and our local lan. At one point I was able to access any system on our lan right to their desktops and even their system folders, but now I can't even see any systems on our lan. I've gone through all systems and nothing seems amiss. file sharing is on and I've tried with and with out simple sharing enabled and no difference. I can ping the other IP's and they are all static I'm hoping my problem is the D-Link it will from time to time just drop and need to be mannually reset as in un plud and plug in then all is well for about a week or so.but even with that the local access is just not there. I'm a certified network installer but this has me baffeled.

Any suggestions

Richard Morton
Lizard Tree Home of Chameleon Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back